Skip to content

Emergency Housing Assistance Programs For Homeless Families | Apply Now

The Emergency Housing Assistance Programs (EHAP) are homelessness prevention program funded by the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD).

EHAP provides short-term financial assistance to low-income families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Emergency Housing Assistance Programs

There are a variety of housing assistance opportunities available for you and your family. It will also help you identify the steps necessary to achieve self-sufficiency through your housing needs.

Homeless Need Help with Apartment

The government has programs that can help families find an apartment. There is assistance for low-income families, the disabled, the elderly, single mothers or fathers, and others.

Federal and state government grants and other resources will help individuals or families find and pay for affordable housing and apartments.

Homeless Need Help with Apartment
Homeless Need Help with Apartment

The government can help families or individuals find, pay for, and enter an apartment. But so can nonprofits and charities. In fact, many of the nonprofit organizations oversee federal government housing funding and programs.

Transitional Housing Program

Transitional Housing Program offered to move families of homeless people into a safe as well as stable home for up to 24 months.

Families also receive support services for the transition to permanent housing and live independently.

Related Post: How To Apply Free Motel Vouchers for Homeless Online

Services also assistance with emergency rent, utilities, security deposit to prevent homelessness. Also, groceries and food stamps can be provided.

Permanent Housing Program

This program is offered to families as well as individuals who need long-term affordable housing.

Permanent Supportive Housing Program

This program is offered to families and individuals living with a disability who are also homeless. Residents receive case management and support services.

Emergency Housing Assistance Programs offers flexible financial assistance designed to meet the unique needs of each family.

Emergency Housing Assistance Programs
Emergency Housing Assistance Programs

Who Are Eligible for Applying Emergency Housing Assistance?

  • A family must be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
  • Household must be not less than 50% of the funds will be available to families with an income equal to or less than 30% of Area Media Income (AMI), and a maximum of 50% for families with 30-50% AMI.
  • Meet the basic criteria of a target assessment tool developed by DHCD.
  • Agency staff have flexibility in applying the tool to determine eligibility.
  • The Emergency Housing Assistance eligibility process will consider the reasons why someone is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, including Loss of income as well as higher expenses for those with incomes between 30 and 50 percent of AMI.

How Can Emergency Housing Assistance Programs Accessed?

Completing an admission assessment from the Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) is the first step in accessing Emergency Housing Assistance Programs.

Emergency Housing Assistance Programs
Emergency Housing Assistance Programs

Any family can log in or call the HCEC Resource Center to complete the Admission Assessment form.

Agencies do not require an in-person appointment to complete an admission assessment, but will be available if a family requires in-person assistance to complete it.

It can only approved in the region where you plan to use your Emergency Housing Assistance.

To Find a Regional Agency Here:

  • Lynn Housing Authority and Neighborhood Development

If you obtain preliminary approval, the agency will ask you to complete a RAFT application.

When You Apply For Emergency Housing Assistance?

  • Identification such as a driver’s license, other photo ID, or MassHealth card.
  • Proof of current income for all adult household members.
  • A copy of your lease.
  • Proof that you need help as well as the amount of money you need.
  • A landlord participation agreement, if you are a tenant who is using.
  • RAFT to pay past due rent, first and last month rent, a security deposit as well as a monthly rent stipend.

After the family has completed the HCEC intake assessment, the HCEC staff will review it to determine individual needs and resources.